I am still waiting for that baby.
Meanwhile I took a break from sewing for me and pulled out some quilted double-sided fabric from the stash for a jacket for Charlotte.
The jacket is reversible. Here’s the other side:
Here is Ottobre’s version:
You may think after my adventures with the double-sided cape that I would be put off double-sided fabric for life, but it turns out that I am foolhardy. This pattern is rated two dots by Ottobre, and I would agree with that. Although it only has four pattern pieces, it contains many challenging and devilish details.
First the pockets. These are substantially as the pattern shows, and that’s one of the reasons I love their kids’ designs – lots of cute details, like apple pockets. I appliqued the fleece leaves on with a decorative stitch which looks like leaf edges! Total accident, but very fortuitous.
Second: the binding. The pockets are bound, as is much of the jacket, with endless amounts of self-made bias tape. I used the bias tape tutorial here from La Sewista for most of it, but was not very happy because this produces tape that is not on the true bias, which I should have noticed before I had sewn it up. It worked but I was grumpy. It turned out that my first ten thousand metres of bias tape were not enough, so I cut a few more strips with the rotary cutter and seamed them on. This pattern takes 1 3/8″ bias tape, and commercial tape won’t do, since there are two application methods. The first is suitable for conventional double-fold tape, but the other method (used for the shoulder seams and inner collar seam) essentially folds the tape in thirds and wouldn’t do for commercial tape.
Third tricky detail: the snaps. Here you make little circles to go under the snap rings. The circles are made of two layers of the bias-tape fabric stuck together with double-sided interfacing. I traced around a button to get the right width. They show the plain rings on both sides, I put pearl snaps on one side.
Here’s a better view of a little fabric disc under the snap rings and the front binding:
The binding of course takes the most time, especially since I haven’t got a binding foot that takes this size of tape. It occurs to me that the coverstitch with the proper binder would have made light work of this jacket. I did a lot of hand banding to make sure that the bindings didn’t shift.
Then, because the apple leaves are out there on their own, I made a hat (shown in light green in the Ottobre picture) out of the teal fleece. Here it is draped on the jacket.
I used some variegated pink pearl cotton in the looper of the coverstitch to finish the seams and edges. It was fun! It’s not as nicely done as the jacket but it only took about an hour as opposed to a couple of days.
She’s not home yet to try it on yet, but soon!